Wednesday, October 20, 2021

The White Spotted Owl

When I saw the white, spotted owl on my morning walk yesterday, I knew it meant something. Can't explain it.  But I stopped in my tracks.  My dog noticed it too.  It was like a notice.  Pay attention. 

I didn't think about it again.  Until this morning. When I was walking in the very same spot.  I didn't see the owl.  But I grabbed my phone and made a very important call.

Today is one of the best days of my life. At 3:18am, October 20, 2008, I gave birth to a precious, perfect baby girl.  Every detail is still so crystal clear:  the spicy chili I made (I had heard spicy foods induce labor; the contraction while I was chopping onions; the next one... and the next; the bedtime prayer with my son, telling him tomorrow he would be a big brother; the drive to the hospital and the call I made to my mom saying I was certain baby girl was on her way; the harsh hospital lights when I walked in that night; falling asleep and the nurse later waking me to say, "time to push;" the magic I felt when I held my daughter for the first time...  

I laid awake staring at her until the sun came up.  Never did I know such unconditional love for a girl until that moment!  But what followed is the kind of story with a juxtaposition so great, you can't ignore it - or ever forget it.  

My phone rang.

"Dawn, I am so sorry to call with this news, but our dear friend Anne Pressly was attacked. 

WHAT?

Another friend:  "I am so happy for you, Dawn.  But this is really bad."

All the words blended into a melting pot of horror.. unrecognizable, overnight attack, beaten, never showed up for the morning show... 

Then, someone told me that her precious mom picked up the phone to call Pressly.  It was her morning wake up call for her daughter, who's job was the same as mine, just a different hour of the day.  Anne did not answer.  

I imagine for her mom, it was the kind of knowing -deep in your gut- when you just feel you know. Something horrible happened.  The rest of Anne's story is not what this blog is about, though.  It's about a mother's love for her daughter. 

I sat staring in awe at mine, who'd just taken her first breath.  I couldn't stop thinking about Anne, who was taking her last breaths. I couldn't stop thinking about her mother who was living a nightmare. 

I later found out that the moment I gave birth was the moment Anne was fighting to stay alive.  It has haunted me ever since. I've never written about it until today, 13 years later. My daughter is 13.  Anne's mother marks 13 years without hers. 

When I passed the spot where I saw that white spotted owl, I instinctively called Anne Pressly's mom.  The moment we heard each other's voices, there were immediate tears.  She didn't want to talk about Anne, though.  She wanted to hear all about my daughter. What she is like.  What she loves.  Her personality...   turns out, my girl is a lot like Anne, her mother told me. Both have a wicked sense of humor, bold and courageous, yet humble and kind, giving special attention to those who may be marginalized or 'different.'   

Two mommas who share a sacred, holy moment in time...

I find myself asking why.  Screaming it, really.  WHY? 

Why do I get to talk to my daughter everyday and she doesn't?  Why did mine get the privilege of life on this beautiful planet and hers did not? Why do I get to celebrate my girl's birthday and she does not?  

Today on the phone, Anne's mom said to me, "I take it one day at a time, Dawn.  I want to remember the hugs and the kiss, when I kissed her on the forehead."  She went on to say that "God has a way of blotting out the horror... the suffering dissipates." Her incredible, unwavering faith is what carries her. 

In the conversation, I shared that my mom had died earlier this year.  She said to me, "I am here for you. Let me help you learn to nourish you and lean on God." 

An incredible woman, mother- sharing wisdom and endurance, born out of a pain most of us will never know.

Later, I looked up what that white, spotted owl symbolized.  Guardian spirits who protect us, representing wisdom and endurance.  We all have them, if only we stop to pay attention. 




4 comments:

  1. yes Amen slow down an take a look around at Gods Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a horrilbe day, and I never knew your daughter was born that day making in the best day!! "Love ya, mean it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories and I knew this when we were all working together but of course would never mention it. I remember a few days before we were all at my home for a baby shower. Your sweet angel is a gift and she has the best MOM ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pg slot99th โบนัส แจกฟรี เป็นแพลตฟอร์มเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่ได้รับความนิยมในประเทศไทย โดยเน้นให้บริการเกม สล็อต ที่มีคุณภาพและหลากหลายตั้งแต่เกมสล็อตดั้งเดิมไปจนถึงเกมสล็อตที่เรียกว่าสุดล้ำ

    ReplyDelete