Thursday, March 12, 2020

Why I'm Paying Attention to Covid19

I'm a broadcast journalist by trade.  I've been a reporter now for 27 years.  Through the years, I've covered tragedy, natural disaster, death. I don't typically panic, nor am I a fearful person.  But I am deeply concerned about the coronavirus and Covid19.  Here's why.

A few weeks ago, I interviewed a state infectious disease expert, who told me that coronavirus is highly contagious, spread by droplets, and it was only a matter of time before it arrived in Arkansas. She was right. As of today, there are 6 patients with presumptively positive test results.  One of them is a child.  There are also countless people who've been in contact with these 6 people.  All of them are now in self-quarantine. There will be more...

We have no defense against coronavirus as a society.  There is no vaccine.  We have no immunity because it's "novel." And you can spread it even when you have no symptoms.  That makes the coronavirus much more dangerous than the flu.  Hardly anyone with the flu is asymptomatic.  They are plainly sick.  But you can spread the coronavirus and never come down with the illness. Coronavirus is most lethal to those in their 70s, 80s, and 90s, along with people who have chronic disease or compromised immunity.

I'm less worried about me, but I'm worried I could carry the virus unknowingly and infect someone who is infirm.

I've heard a number of people say, "this is blown out of proportion," or "the flu kills more people." First, the cancellations and "social distancing" are actions we should all welcome.  These measures are being taken not because Covid19 already happened here, but instead because health experts are working to change the outcome of this pandemic.  Their wish is to reduce the impact in our state.  Arkansas' Health Secretary Dr. Nathaniel Smith said, "we want to interrupt transmission before it occurs." It is a fact that containment stops the spread of virus.  Second, coronavirus vs. influenza is not a fair comparison (see paragraph 3 above).  We are no where near seeing what coronavirus' impact will be in Arkansas or America. We don't know how many will end up infected or how many will die.  Also, experts say we are at least two of years from a truly effective vaccine. 

So, I'm troubled by Covid19's arrival in Arkansas.  By no means am I panicked.  Nor do I suggest you panic.  But vigilance is required. Wash your hands frequently.  Greet each other with a smile instead of a hug or hand shake.  Stay home. Be positive.  And please be well, my friends.  We desperately need each other, we need unity, to make it through this.

1 comment: