Sunday, November 29, 2020

The things people say (and why they don't matter)

Since I announced I’m leaving television news at the end of 2020, people have said all kinds of crazy things to me. 


One friend specifically felt the need to warn me, saying  I will lose people I consider “friends” because, as he put it, “they’ll have no use for you anymore since you’re not in a powerful position on TV.”  Really?! I thought.  Another shared that they felt I “had it all” and questioned why on earth I would ever give up a coveted spot on-air.  Others have asked me if I think this is a smart thing to do in the middle of a pandemic. 


Honestly, none of this is a surprise to me.  As a single mom with a very public job, people have felt the urge to say anything they wanted to me over the years.  But I’ve actually already thought about what they've recently said before they even said it.  I figure, I’ll find out who is true and supportive - and who isn't.  And yes, it’s a risk!  But what’s riskier to me is NOT making the move.  Being home with my children while broadcasting from my living room showed me exactly the risk of me not being there. Plus, I will be working (I have to!).  I'll just be doing something that gives more flexibility. My children deserve to have me as much as they can. The pandemic taught so many of us that nothing is more important than home and family.  


What’s been so beautiful, though, is that aside from the skeptics, so many more friends, much to my great appreciation, shared that they believe this is 100% the right move.  One friend told me she thought it was the best decision I could’ve made, and she GAINED respect for me for choosing children as my number one priority. 


This decision has not come without fear, though.  Daily news is what I’ve known for 25 years of my life.  That is more than half of my time on earth!  I’ve been with one station for 21 of those years, and my heart is tied there.  Tied to viewers, to amazing co-workers, and to managers who worked with me to create a workable schedule.  I lived through so much there. My work was a refuge during tough times in my personal life.  It's been a second home with a work family who laughs and cries with me.  I grew up there, and my children grew up as “TV kids.”  Before the pandemic, I recall we were at a restaurant.  A random man walked up to our table, and as he was en route, my son warned, “Mom, strange viewer-person coming behind you on your left.”  The man wasn’t strange at all.  He kindly shared gratitude for my commitment to children in foster care, then left us alone.  But it pointed out a sobering truth for me, even back then. My kids have had to share me with so many people we don't even know, and even worse for them, they’ve known their place.  Number one in my heart, but number two when it came to the hours of 2:30p until nearly 8p.  Evening news dominated those hours, and nothing about that would ever change.  


I never believed until now that I had another choice. But through the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve learned there’s choice and flexibility in so many things.  We choose our attitude before we ever get out of bed. We choose gratitude, or we focus on what we don’t have.  We choose action or complaint. We choose fear or love.  We choose whether we trust in God when something new is dreamt and placed on our hearts.  We choose how to spend the precious hours each of us has been given.  We’ve all seen that if we aren’t creative and resilient during these outrageous times, we won’t make it. We’ve learned what matters to each of us.  


Initially, when we first heard the words “covid nineteen,” some of us thought, “this is the end.”  For some, it has been, in such a heartbreaking way.  For others who wondered if it really was the end, it was an opportunity to re-define who we are and where our focus belongs. Mine is on “home” and a son and daughter who are now #1 every day, every hour of the day. 


With that as my priority, does it really matter if a lose a friend based on whether I’m on TV?  Do I really have it all if what's important is out of line? If I don’t make a change now, then when? 


We have one go around (I think).  I have to believe at the end of mine, I won’t be wishing I spent more hours on television and will simply wish I had more time home, with the ones who matter most. 





25 comments:

  1. Dawn, I respect and appreciate how you have prioritized life. I know this change will be full of abundant goodnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also said that "Family comes first".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praises to you for a tough decision. Family is the most important part of our lives. You do you and let the nay sayers be who they are. It's your life. Live it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May God Bless you in your future endeavors. You were a blessing to so many but I'll tell you I could see the struggle in your beautiful face, I could feel how hard it was everytime you shared numbers. As a mom you know whats best for you and your kids, your family first, always. Ill personally miss hearing you but life's just to short to struggle. Sending you prayers for you, your future and your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TobyMac "The paparazzi flashes and they think that it's you, But, they don't know that who you are is not what you do...I don't wanna gain the whole world and lose my soul."

    Good on you, Dawn. Enjoy the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do what makes you happy! Make the memories and never regret your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn, a wise lifetime friend once advised me to make memories. I'll stand by it with NO Regrets. Dawn, my home is an open door, you're ALWAYS WELCOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I know when I chose to stay home with my daughter and Homeschool her people thought I was nuts but 26 yrs later I wouldn't had it any other way. Home and family all the way. You will be missed but proud for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always do what makes you happy and your family. Family comes first no one else does!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so appreciate your devotion to our state but more important than that, I admire the devotion to your family and your resolve to do life the right way—putting family first. God bless you! Your children are very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Dawn. Congratulations
    Jrehrauer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Dawn. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow Dawn! Congratulations! We only have our kids close for 18yrs. You have some very important years ahead with them that will impact their lifetime in such a positive way. I am sooo proud of you Dawn! God Bless you and your family my friend. Just think...now you have more Beach time. You touched my soul ..... just can't imagine the unlimited joys that await you with God and family by your side. Love ya, Joann Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is terrific that you chose to spend more time with your children. I love that you found something so positive from the pandemic! I no longer live in Arkansas, but I followed your coverage of COVID-19 on Facebook. I thought you did an excellent job, and I cannot wait to see what you do next. Good luck to you in this next season of your life! As a mother of three children, I have the utmost respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dawn, don't listen to those skeptics! I left the work field about 9 years ago, to care for my 2 grandchildren. It has been a blessing to me! God gifted you your children and they're what's most important. Stick to your decision and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have watched you for years I used to clean a friends of yours house they was married to someone else No one knows what's best for you and your children they are at the age you will enjoy the most years with them God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your decision. It's your choice for what is right for you and your family. Don't dwell on the negatives, but look for the positives. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!! I am so very happy for you and your children. You deserve what is best for you. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know you personally but have watched you for so many years on TV.
    I respect your decision. Family should come first or you are left with regrets.

    Best wishes for your future endeavors and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You will be missed, but you will
    Never regret this fork in the road.

    Stay safe. Good luck. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dawn, go and live life to the fullest. Your children and friends will thank you for your years in the public eye and for stepping away to focus on you and your family. You have given more than enough to us all and we owe you a debt of gratitude for sharing your life with us. Best of luck and enjoy your new path in life. Michael M.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dawn, this was an awesome blog. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck in all your future endeavors. You have meant so much to so many keeping us impartially informed throughout your on-air years and online as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dawn- I wanted to express my heartfelt gratitude for your years as a newscaster for central Arkansas. I'm an Administrator @ Briarwood Nursing & Rehab- the compassion you showed us when we were first hit by Covid is something I will never forget- the staff & residents of Briarwood thank you & wish you nothing but happiness with your family! Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish you the best of luck.
    Only you know what best for you and your family. If you dont take that leap of faith you would not forgive yourself.. if it does not work out .. we all learn from our mistakes.
    I will miss seeing you on the news.
    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dawn you are such a beautiful soul May God continue to bless you in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete